Saturday, June 23, 2012

Reservation Reprieve

When Bucky lived here the summer before we got married, he would call me everyday after work on his way to "the res". He described the diverse wildlife, emphasizing the beauty of the res and the sanctuary it offered as he coped with the stress of the Bar Exam. I was surprised to hear it was one of his top 3 places to fish (ever) and I doubted it could live up to the hype. 
But, when I visited that summer and floated Spring Creek, I started to understand what drew him here so often. Secluded with the sounds of the sandhill cranes, grasshoppers, and an occasional splash from a defensive beaver, you feel alone in a peaceful way. 
Drifting down the clear creek with the vegetation swaying beneath, watching large trout spook from beneath the weed beds as you pass, simultaneously warmed by the sun on your hair and cooled by the water on your legs, finishing the day with a sunset that is never the same twice... I don't know any other way to describe it other than majestic. In the past, I struggled with resentment towards the res for monopolizing Buck's free time but have come to appreciate the res as a personal reprieve after a long day of work. 










No comments:

Post a Comment